Sunday, April 20, 2008

Photo Sessions and a Helping Hand

I'd called my neighbor the other day and asked if she could come help me with some stuff this weekend. One, I wanted someone who I could use as a training distraction and two, she takes great photos and it's much easier to have some one else take the pictures when you're holding the leash. She called me early this afternoon and we set off. I use a near by track a lot of the time to get Toby a chance to stretch his legs as well as get some outdoor training in.

Things started off about as well as I expected... He thought it was completely awesome that he got to meet my neighbor and took a few minutes before he decided he could sit calmly in the car with her. Amazingly enough though, Toby calmed right down. It was kind of mind boggling for me. A year ago I wouldn't have held much hope that he could ride in the car with a person he'd met less than five minutes ago... at least not calmly. He did wiggle the first time we all hopped in, but I took him out, walked him over and got his doggy seat belt. When I put him back in the car he'd regained his brain and since I couldn't get the seat belt looped through even road loose. A perfectly calm gentleman. I was a bit stunned by the time we pulled up to the track and got out. By then he was acting his normal self... happy to be at the track and ready to get on the 50ft long line and stretch his legs.

He was a bit more distractable than he's been lately, but I'll chalk that up to having another person with us and the heat. The heat wasn't too bad, but it's getting close to those summer months where walks have to come early in the morning or late at night. We did do a few sits, downs, and waits. Tried his easy well known tricks: shake and his hand touch he did beautifully, his leg weaves... he went through once and his brain went kaput. Oh well. I wasn't pushing it... He was hot and curious about the new smells and the new lady walking with us snapping pictures of us. We did do a few uncued recalls (I wasn't 100% sure he'd come... so I didn't call him). I was very impressed that when I had to go get a poop bag from the car that he stayed with my neighbor. It was a nice feeling to know his eyes never left me... (at least not that I saw) but I'd like him to be a bit more comfortable being left with other people, but he wasn't squirmy or whining so I'm happy.

I'm waiting for my neighbor to send over the CD of the pictures so I can see if we got any good ones. Toby wasn't in the mood to stay still and that makes it a bit of a challenge. We intend to do it again sometime... which should be easier since she won't be as 'new' of a tag along to him. At the same time, we'll be doing it in a different location. That could mean even less attention. Overall, we had a very good morning and I'm extremely proud of my boy.

That was just from this morning. I'll post a second post for tonight's work in a few minutes.

No comments: